The Victor Auxetophone

 
 

The principle of the Auxetophone was developed by an Englishman, Charles Parsons.  He filed his first patent in 1903, and continued to develop his ideas.  By 1906, the design was mature enough for production of a commercial Auxetophone to begin.  The Victor Talking Machine Company in Camden NJ was eager to obtain the rights to manufacture Parson’s invention, and introduced the machine with great fanfare in August of 1906.  It sold for a staggering $500, but the expenditure could conceivably be justified for certain commercial enterprises where the Auxetophone could augment or replace a band.  Establishments which did not normally have live music could use the Auxetophone as a draw based on its novelty.


The Auxetophone was removed from Victor’s catalogs in about 1915.  The last one was shipped from factory stock in 1924.  A total of 850 were reported shipped from Camden.  The number produced in Europe is not known.

 

History